How Does Faith Relate to the World in Which we Live?


Although there are people in the world who believe faith is only about religion, and believe that having faith in something that cannot be seen or proven is believing in stories such as Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy and view faith as something for the weak-minded and the foolish. However what one does not realize is that faith is around us everywhere. If we think about things in our lives we cannot direct and manipulate; a train for instance. Every weekend when I board the KTX I have faith this machine will drag its contents and passengers to their destination. I also have faith that the conductor has paid attention when being taught how to operate the machine. As well as this I have faith the conductor will not allow the train to slide off the tracks. These things are tangible though, we can see the train moving.

The skeptics and cynics may state the obvious, that this is clearly based upon science and education. Science applies itself by the mechanics of making the train move. Education is what taught the conductor to keep the train moving. What we forget is that we once had faith that these would work, and not only until we tested out faith (theories) that we knew the train would move. Yes science and knowledge are key factors when thinking of trains and cars, but then that makes me question emotions. I have faith that my mother loves me unconditionally. Even the strongest Atheist would agree love is present in our world. I can not physically see my mothers love, because my mother hugs me is no proof she loves me. Love is based on faith there is no way to prove it in tangible means. Almost all religions when broken down come to an assumption and belief in love. And this comes down to faith.

Even if I deny faith when it is exercised through religion, I still have faith just as everyone in the world does. The world has intangible faith. Faith is something beyond every one's control, which means we believe in something we cannot prove. Many aspects of religion are pleasant thoughts such as someone always listening to you, heaven, merit points for being "good" however faith truly boils down to believing in something bigger than oneself when it come to 'religious faith and the world.'

Faith is believing in the not yet proven. It is trusting and it is loving. Faith reminds me of the "trust game" where you fall back into your partners arms and have faith they will catch you. Not having faith is choosing to not listen and participate in the world around you. Faith does not have to be religious however can be in the simplest form such as knowing that tomorrow your cell phone will work or that the burger joint will have french fries.

5 comments:

Maia Bondy said...

wow, I feel like I just read a TOK journal. GOSH!

I agree with your view of. It doesn't have to be religious!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is nothing to do with this particular blog, but what's up with you and chickens? Why do you hate them? lol

Halao said...

So here's my take on this:

'faith' is a lot like 'truth'; everyone talks/thinks about it, but they can never quite come to a clear definition. But why do we have this need to define and categorize things, anayway?

I definately agree that you can have faith in non-religious objects/emotions/people just the same as in religious ones. The only reason why religious objects have so much recognition is because there's a bunch of people who have faith in the "same thing" (which is also questionable because of the way people twist things to fit they're own mindset). People are sheep, and like to follow instead of coming up with their own thing.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it's all in the mind. We create our own reality.

Recently, I came to the conclusion that religous people are dreamers, just like me (minus following a set of rules that someone, somewhere, at some point came up with). And then there are those who would die for what they believe in...which I think is taking things a bit too far. I would maybe die for a person that I thought was more likely to create more in life than me, but not for an idea.

Would you?

Anonymous said...

Very NICE!!!!
Couldn't agree more.

If society would listen and/or apply this to life, the world would be a better place and conversations more meaningful.

Well written!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy that I've had the oppοrtunіty to find blogger.

cοm: it hаs the mоst infοrmation гequігed fοr me.
Yοu've made an excellent resource and it'ѕ clear уou have a thorоugh comprehension of thе іѕsue.
Υou hаve openеd up my еyes to numerous insіghts іnνolνing this sort of mаtter utilizіng іntеrеsting аnd
еffective content.

Αlsο ѵiѕit my webpage HTTP://www.Fresnodigitalworkshops.com/